Monday, January 03, 2011

Maceo, Paris




Maceo is the upscale restaurant located a few doors down from Willi's Wine Bar on Rue des Petits Champs in the 1st. Mark Williamson, an English ex-pat since the 70s, runs the place with old world charm and a very dry sense of humor. The room is grand and colonial, and I have it on good authority that it used to house the best brothel in Paris. That may explain my reluctance to leave after a leisurely 2 hour lunch with a shared appetizer, main course, a large pichet of Dolcetto d' Alba, and a pear William dessert with cafe. All this for 115 euros. I am guessing there would be extra charges for a truly 'happy ending'.

Maceo has become a regular visit on my trips here and will continue to be so as the food, service and ambiance are 5 star. As an example, when the server noticed that I was having trouble cutting my beef filet with the butter knife (usually it takes two large pichets of Red to lead me astray like that) he silently slid over and dropped a new steak knife at my side and removed the other knives from my reach. I expected and deserved a slap on the head and a curt "Hey dummy, try the steak knife not the butter knife!" Like I said, very smooth.

Stop in and enjoy a great meal, and if you find out where the 'private' dining rooms are, let me know. I will be on the next flight out from Cincinnati.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home