Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Wine Blogging Wednesday -- #30

What: WBW is the international internet wine tasting event held monthly. Lenn, a proud new father, is the mastermind. Details and past postings are here.

Host/Hostess: This month's event is hosted by Tim at Winecast.

Theme: New World Syrah

The Wine: 2001 Finca Flichman, Paisaje de Barrancas ($16)

This is Tupungato's little sister, also from Mendoza, Argentina. I raved about finding a bottle of Tupungato last week when I found a six-pack in the back closet. Sadly, there was no more at the warehouse. The Barrancas is more refined and subtle as it is a blend of Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon (75/20/5) fermented in stainless steel, aged 12 months in new French and American oak (50/50).

Moderate but alluring nose, with soft, round complex fruit flavors and a medium finish. Would be great with food. If you can find some, give it a swirl!

Lately I have been on a Syrah kick as I find it is a great food wine and each region and winemaker can bring out a range of expressions in the wine. It is complex and approachable when young and evolves in your glass after several hours.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting, Jens. Sounds like a wine I should try.

Cheers,
--
Tim Elliott
Winecast

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, Name is Brian Finn
I am a wine Sales Consultant in the NY area. I have the pleasure of carrying the Jarvis Tomei wines.
I will shortly be carrying the Azul Profundo line in NY as well as the Nomad.....and the Syrah.
I LOVE THESE WINES.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home