Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wine Blogging Wednesday #28


This month's theme, hosted by Culinary Fool, is Sparkling Wines (except no Champagnes, so my Duval-Leroy didn't count and I HAD to drink another bottle!). WBW is the monthly online wine tasting event detailed here.

NV J Vineyards Brut Rose ($38) - Russian River Valley, California. A blend of Pinot Noir/Chardonnay/Pinot Meunier (69/29/2). Hand picked and gently placed in the Coquard press, the only one in North America. Aged at least 36 months in cellar. 860 cases produced. 12% alcohol, 11 grams sugar.

The winery is very popular with one of my customers, so when an extra bottle of the Rose was left around, I decided to see what all the fuss was about. This wine is scarce as only a few cases made it to Ohio.

Pale pink color, soft bubbles and long finish. This is a special wine for a very reasonable price that is south of $40.

PS: I think Sparklers are better served in standard wine glasses and not flutes as the aromas get lost in the tiny openings and I get mostly bubbles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Catherine Granger said...

Jens,

I should definitively try the rosé next time! And I agree with you, I prefer serving Champagne in normal wine glasses, it is less festive but more effective to catch the aromas. Plus, no need to wash the wine glasses by hand, they go into the dishwasher.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing double duty this month, Jens! ;-) Especially since this wine sounds very interesting. I love pink bubbles - I think the color just adds a bit more of a festive touch.

Have wonderful holidays!
~B

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home