Saturday, January 28, 2006

Zaca Mesa

2002 Zaca Mesa Z Cuvee ($10) -- Santa Barbara. A couple visited the shop today and among one of the wines they mentioned in their travels in California was Zaca Mesa. Two hours after they left I found a case of the Z Cuvee. (I know, I know, I need to work on my inventory system! Hey, come back, I finally found it!!).

Zaca is a small cutting edge producer of Rhone varietals in California and one of the first wineries in Santa Barbara since Prohibition. The first vineyard was planted in 1973.

The Z Cuvee is a Grenache, Mourvedre, Syrah, Cinsault blend (45,30,16,9%) aged 13 months in 100% French oak (20% new) with a case production of 2,900.

Medium red color, muted aroma and tight fruit flavors. Seemed out of balance due to high acidity. Might fare better with food. I had tasted this wine prior to buying a case and had enjoyed it, but today the wine did not please me. If it improves over the next hour I will comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home